15 April 2009

"Are you happy?"

She thought about it, her gaze drifting away from his... "No, not precisely," she said. "But I don't believe I wish to complain of unhappiness." She paused a minute, looking at the thoughts that had been with her constantly for the weeks since she had left her old life as a bundle across Fireheart's withers. "It is that I cannot see what I am doing or why, and it is unsettling always to live only in the moment as it passes. Oh, I know--one never sees ahead or behind. But I see even less. It is like being blindfolded when everyone else in the room is not. No one can see outside the room--but everyone else can see the room. I would like to take my blindfold off."
~Robin McKinley
The Blue Sword

...because, on earth, he had come to know Him, that he had a relational encounter with God not unlike meeting a friend or a lover or having a father or taking a bride, and that in order to engage God he gave up everything, repented and changed his life, as this sort of extreme sacrifice is what is required if true love is to grow.
~Donald Miller
Searching for God Knows What

2 comments:

  1. Two great quotes. I really love the Blue Sword quote. There were a lot of good comments about living in a bicultural world and facing a very uncertain future in that book. I think that is why I liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Blue Sword is an excellent quote.

    ReplyDelete