30 March 2009

on blondes...

...also known as telling on myself.
'tis the season for foolishness and lately it has struck me how God made me with a laugh tucked in His mouth. I am, humbly, fairly intelligent. school was fairly easy for me and i can do most things that involve brain energy...well, easily.
but some days i am very blonde. blonde in the sense that i open my mouth and find that either my brain disconnected momentarily or i am just plain silly in certain areas. i say things that, well, defy explanation. here are some examples:
"would you like me to put on a pot of hot?"
(in response to discussion about portugese-speaking countries) "yeah, like the dutch east indies company!"
"all birds are carnivores."
(to a friend's grandmother who was concerned about his upcoming trip) "yeah! that's where the tsunami hit the worst!"
(this made the room go red) "it is possible to know a person in the biblical sense."
"my hair dries naturally."
yes, those are some of the infamous moments. and recently i've realized it is God's humorous way of keeping me humble in the area of my brain. i mean, if i can make such idiotic faux pas, how can i be proud of my intelligence? it's merely one "false step" and i have opened mouth, inserted foot.
but i have learnt to laugh at my blonde moments and realize that God is pretty good to have given me such a fun speech impediment...and to have made me blonde, albeit a dirty one at that!
=D

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you're alone in this one (does being blond have the same impact on guys? I was never sure.) Anyway, I have the same problem. I tell people my mouth is like one of those old cars you had to start with a crank, from in front. Sometimes I get it started only to find that it rolls away before I can actually get in the drivers seat; then I too get foot in mouth disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny what happens to keep us humble. I don't know if it's God's doing or just how we are. I think it happens to most of us, which makes it all the more enjoyable when someone makes a mistake like that, I have a writer friend who can't ever think of the name for household appliances :)

    ReplyDelete