14 June 2009

hmmm

1. He loves me.
2. I love Him.
3. I obey Him.
4. He is well-pleased with me.

somewhere deep down we truly want to rest in the knowledge that we are loved just for being who we are; not for anything we did, do, or can/will do. we want to be enjoyed. and if we know that love from someone of course we want to please them by doing what they want us to. not out of obligation, but simply because we love them in return.
yet twisted as this screwy world is, we live in doubt because we think most (almost all) of our relationships are based on need--either you need me (and i give and thereby feel affirmed) or i need you. rarely, oh so rarely are we content that you love me and i love you regardless.
i want to cultivate such relationships, because that is what He modeled. i hope beyond hope that there are people out there who want to as well (because i can't relate on my own!).

2 comments:

  1. I think there definatley are such people out there (in fact, I know there are.) The problem is that so often we misread eachother. Are their people out there truly seeking community? Yes. But we often choose not to seek it with them. The simple (if depressing) truth is that community, that type of love, must just be done, it cannot be talked into existence. Those types of relationships only happen when we actually open up to others and allow them and the potential for the hurt they bring in. I have concluded recently that talking about relationships is fairly useless, it gets no where. Relationships must be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is true that we talk often but rarely communicate well.
    i guess the idealist in me believes such relationships could be talked about--between the people--and it wouldn't be useless. but i think perhaps you are right. it just means a life of nebulous, vague understandings and opportunities for misunderstandings...and never really knowing if this person will stay your friend (if you're on the same page)...

    ReplyDelete