18 May 2009

loneliness

i run my fingers
slowly
along each petal
the delicate surface
bending and bowing
beneath my skin
i wonder at the vulnerability
of the moment as
i begin to bleed
an unseen thorn
piercing my soft flesh
drawing life away
from my body
but i know
there cannot be
this beauty without
this ache
missing something
losing something
wanting something
i can never have
and i find
being
lonely
can
be
exquisite


“And it was just a few years ago that I finally realized that friendship is not a remedy for loneliness. Loneliness is a part of our experience and if we are looking for relief from loneliness in friendship, we are only going to frustrate the friendship. Friendship, camaraderie, intimacy, all those things, and loneliness live together in the same experience...” ~Rich Mullins

1 comment:

  1. Lovely. I was thinking about loneliness recently and have decided that it is one of the worst curses brought on by the fall. In the Garden God said it was not good for man to be alone and when we sinned we found ourselves irrevocably lonely, as Mullins suggests.

    ReplyDelete