31 January 2009

postscript

a musing more on the theme of loving people...
what do we do when people fail us? do we give them another try and believe the best, or assume they will always be that way, even allowing the failure to seep back into the history of our relationship, colouring every memory with disappointment? it is a hard line to walk, believing all things, hoping all things, enduring all things...especially in the face of defeat.
walk with me down the other side: what do we do when we fail? when we find we gave our hearts to the wrong people, when we find we cannot meet their expectations, when every effort to say "I love you" went awry. 
the dark night of the perfectionist's soul is failure. is there moonlight to find the early dawning? or must we accept defeat and realize that the future will always be this way--lonely, misunderstood, frustrated? 
should you read this and think of Him, yes, I've walked there. He does promise overcoming...the question remains what that looks like in each individual life.
May I find the strength to make it one more day, and may that day hold hope. This road you've given me is full of potholes and the signposts are missing. I'm running out of gas and the will to keep driving. Please, please...take me home. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I would say that because God is willing to forgive us, we ought to forgive those who sin against us.

    That is, "No, not seven times shall you forgive your brother, but seven times seven." I believe that's how it goes, but I forget where in Matthew that verse is...

    But yeah. How does it look? Sometimes it's asking God for strength, because we can't do it on our own...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete