30 July 2018

flashback: August 2014 - Airports

Airports are enjoyable places for me. Places filled with beginnings and endings, goodbyes and reunions. Places that hold the promise of adventures and friends to come.
They are full of harried and hopeful people, people running to a new day or away from an old. They are the embodiment of wait in all its glorious sunny-sky, blue-carpeted, magnificent drudgery.
Small kiosk shops entice over-packed and cash-strapped travellers to indulge in one last gift or souvenir, a tangible testimony to the end of a memory. Distractions abound for the wanderer facing an uncertain future.
In fact, the essence of inability to control anything once you entrust yourself to the machinations of the system transforms me into a child, content to accept whatever the journey may bring. My seat is fixed. I cannot speed the plane, and should it be delayed and I miss something, another route will be offered.
Today I joined a group sending off a friend and ended up being the object of two toddlers' affections. I walked hand in hand, talked, jumped and thrilled at the airport with a Chinese one-year-old and an Egyptian two-year-old.
Together we lived a moment of joy overshadowed by farewell and though they sensed it and clung to me I believe my exuberance and love shielded them from the despair they cannot yet elucidate.
And for me, the love of strong-willed toddlers ministered to my heart in the deep places where I am wrapping my little fingers tightly around the Infinite loving Abba as I totter on uncertain ground to new experiences.
Joy can abound when the way forward is dark.

Ich weiss nicht wohin Gott mich führt, aber ich weiss, dass Er mich führt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment