17 June 2015

A Comment Made

"Memory is cheap,"
He said with a grin.
"It costs but a tear
And that's not a sin

"Or perhaps just a laugh
That fades over time.
You won't even notice
The quality's not prime."

I looked at his wares.
I thought long and hard,
A small price to pay
This persuasive bard.

"But what if I'm sorry?"
He froze at my voice.
"You're sorry for what?"
"My casual choice.

"What if it costs
Much more than you say?
What if it costs
more than I can pay?"

"Rubbish," he said
With dismissive hand
And gestured again
Out over the land.

"How can it crush
When it weighs not at all
And you won't ever see
The effects of the fall?"

Before I could say
He packed up his things
And tossed me a bag
With painted-on wings.

"This cost you a worry
Of what might have been
And now I am off,"
He said with a grin.

Memory is cheap
Though we pay all our days
In heartache and laughter
A myriad of ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment