08 March 2015

in a dry and weary land


There is something about not having it that makes you want it all the more. I had heard about the drought in California; heard tales hearkening back to Steinbeck-esque days. The hushed chatter in the supermarkets in lush Willamette Valley spoke of wine prices soaring and oranges becoming treats for stockings once again. But somehow when late winter rains drench the soggy ground with yet another soaking, dry and sunny can seem like a tale out of school.
Then I moved here.
The highway miles slipped away like drops of water in a stream, broken only by the slow-down for a border crossing more difficult than entry into some countries. After assuring the efficient officer that the last thing I was doing was smuggling lemons into the state I sped on to find a rest area to enjoy some lunch and fill up my water bottle.
Did I mention they have a drought going on in this state?
The welcoming rest area sat beside a scenic wetland. Well, according to the sign it was a wetland. Now it was more of a dry-land. The worst was yet to come when, thirsty from lunch and miles of driving I optimistically pushed on the drinking fountain. Dry. Completely and utterly dry. Enormous signs in the WC proclaimed danger to anyone attempting to drink the water coming out of the tab as it was somehow clean enough to wash your hands but too dirty to drink.
I soldiered on to the next major town and drove through a fast-food joint to buy a drink as an excuse to get a big water as well. They informed me that the water, should I desire it in anything other than the 2-sip size, cost just as much as the soda pop. Dry.
Signs line the highway in the central valley; farmers protesting the lack of water. As if the government could make it rain. Reservoirs look like muddy valleys (see the above picture). I jealously guard my water bottle and keep it near me often. Even when a rainy day cleans the air and breathes just a sigh of hope, someone reminds me it is not enough. Here they need years of rain to undo the dry days.
I long for the rain, for drenching downpours and water to drink until I thirst no more. Once you have lived in lush, green wetness you can never be satisfied with dry. I have tasted and seen. The marvel is that in spite of the dry, flowers bloom. Even in the midst of hardship He brings blessings, and unlike nature He never fails.

2 comments:

  1. wonderful observation. BTW the farmers are protesting because the state government has refused access to the main river that feeds the Central Valley because the "endangered" smelt fish lives in that particular river. The result is what you see around you here in the valley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, thanks for the clarification Lori!

    ReplyDelete