07 February 2008

can i ask you a question?

one of the side-effects of teaching your language in another culture is that you over-analyze phrases and innuendos. for example, many people come up to me and say, "can i ask you a question?" and it sounds off to my ears. or rather, i steel myself for some invasive, personal, or downright rude question. in english, we don't announce questions in this manner--either we ask them outright or tell the person we have a question. the only time we ask permission to ask is when the question is perhaps different (again, invasive, personal, rude, non-of-their-business, etc.). so i am trying not to be nervous at the numerous times i am asked, "can i ask you a question?"

1 comment:

  1. This is SO insightful Abigail!! I have to admit I've been really confused pretty much my whole life why I get a funny reaction from people when I ASK them if I can ask them a question. I'm going to try just telling them or just asking the question. (Guys or logical girls have the most dramatic reaction, and often respond "You already did.")

    ReplyDelete